This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

OTWAY BURNS AND HIS SNAPDRAGON

...from Commonwealth of Onslow by J. P. Brown

Snapdragon Model by Jim Goodwin
Although England had recognized the United States as an independent nation following the Revolution, she regarded America as owing her independence more to circumstance than to powerful armies, so she treated our ships and our representatives with something like contempt.

American ships were searched on the merest pretense and American seamen impressed. Indians were incited to unrest and the American flag insulted. To avenge these wrongs the United States went to war with Great Britain in 1812.

The most spectacular campaigns were carried on on the high seas and peculiar among these were the privateers fitted out to prey on British commerce.

The most famous of these was commanded by Captain Otway Burns, who was born and reared in Onslow County. MORE...

No comments: