This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

UPDATED HISTORY of the PETER RINGWARE HOUSE

Painting by Beaufort artist Mary Warshaw

NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES (Daniel Pezzoni 1989): Peter Ringware House circa 1778 - 209 Main Street. Possibly the oldest house in Onslow County, the Ringware House is a Georgian/Federal style five-bay house with engaged two-tier front and back porches, a large first floor room on one side of a center hall and a pair of rooms sharing a chimney on the other side. Most original interior and exterior hardware and woodwork survive. Early 19th century one-story rear kitchen and dining room, formerly semi-detached. Ringware was a captain. His house was owned by many prominent Swansboro citizens throughout the 19th century. Archaeological explorations undertaken in the 1960s suggested a late 18th century date of construction. (NR)  Click Here for the complete update.

No comments: