This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

Old Photographs

Photographs courtesy North Carolina State Archives

Front Street - Swansboro circa 1920 - looking north


Front Street Swansboro at south Moore - looking west


Front St. store in Swansboro - "The Codfish" circa 1930


Local Swansboro farmer Thomas Jefferson Riggs circa 1930


Unknown church in the general Swansboro area

No comments: