Early photograph found in Jack Dudley's book.
NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places: 114 Main Street - Three-bay center-hall plan house with decorative front porch, triple-A roof with wood shingling and millwork in front gable, one-story ell. NR
David G. Ward was born March 4, 1853 in Jones County, North Carolina, the son of William P. Ward (1818-1882) and Sarah Nancy Jarman (1820-1910).
David G. Ward married Henrietta B. Freeman (1856-1931) before 1880. In the 1880 Swansboro census, in the household were William P. Ward 61 , wife Sarah N. 60, son David G. (farmer) 27 and his wife Henrietta 23.
By the 1900 census, in the household were farmer David G. Ward, his wife Henrietta and children Willie P. 17, Carl S, 15, Pearl E. 13, Ida P. 10 and seven-year old Henrietta.
On January 24, 1925, David G. Ward died of stomach cancer and was buried in Swansboro's Ward Cemetery.
This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.