This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

ALBERT TOLSON HOUSE circa 1906





NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places: 213 Walnut Street - Gable-fronted side-hall plan house with one-story front porch and ell, decorative chimney stacks. Robert Lee Smith built the house for Tolson.

WWI Registration Certificate
Albert Tolson was born in 1883 to Kilby and Mattie Tolson. Albert Tolson and his wife Mildred were married in 1915. The 1900 census noted 17-year-old Bert A. as a farmer laborer. By 1920, in the household were Tolson, his wife, one daughter Janice 3 1/2 and Bert's mother Mattie 68. In 1930 the value of Tolson's real estate was $1500.

No comments: