This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo (from North Carolina State Archives) courtesy Jack Dudley, as included in Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute

Charles Webb House 1911

THE NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places: 305 Church Street - Gable-fronted side-hall plan house with novelty-siding, wood shingling, millwork, and decorative window in gable, one wraparound porch and board-and-batten ell. Webb was a carpenter. NR

Charles Rodgers "Charlie" Webb 1873-1951, was the son of Thomas Webb 1838-1879 and Elizabeth Hart Moore 1838-1914 (daughter of Tyre Moore and Catherine Wilson). In 1895 Charles married Pauline Moore 1876-1959 (dau. of Joseph Francis Moore and Martha Ann Bell).

Ernest Webb House
In the 1880 census Thomas Webb's widow Elizabeth (42) was in Swansboro with sons Willie 20, Ernest 9, Charles 7 and daughter Emma 16 with husband Elijah Sewel 22.

By 1920 Charles Webb and wife Pauline Moore were on Church Street with children: Richard 24, Clyde 23, Pauline 18, Horace 16 and 8-year old Aletta. 

Both Charles and his brother Ernest were carpenters and worked for Swansboro Land and Lumber. Charles' 305 Church Street home is very similar to his brother Ernest's home (above right) at 307 Church Street, perhaps also built by the Webb brothers or by Robert Lee Smith and Emory Rogers. See Charles' other house at 211 Elm Street: Charles Webb House 1898.

Elizabeth H. Webb 
Pauline 1901-19
Charles Webb and Pauline Moore Webb, and their five children were buried in Swansboro's Ward Cemetery, along with Charles' mother Elizabeth:

Richard Tilly Webb 1895-1972
Clyde Robert Webb 1896-1937
Pauline Webb 1901-1922
Horace Joseph Webb 1904-1958
Aleta Moore Webb Kellum 1911-1986.

No comments: