This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

DAN WARD HOUSE circa 1912





















NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places: 119 Water Street - Gable-fronted side-hall plan house with decorative one-story porch. (NR)

George Washington Ward
The line boat Madison - Image from Jack Dudley's book, Swansboro, A Pictorial Tribute

Daniel Hargett Ward (1871-1948) was born in Swansboro to George Washington Ward and Hester Rebecca Gibson. The Ward family had been in the Onslow County area since the 18th century. Daniel's grandfather George W. Ward (1795-1863) married Olive Sanders, daughter of John Sanders and Mary Ann Burns of Onslow County. Daniel married Bettie Ann Stanley of Carteret County. He captained Madison--a line boat between Swansboro and Morehead City. The 1920 census noted Daniel and Bettie on Water Street with children: Mabel 22, Carrie 19, Vincent 16, Minnie 14 and Cora 7. Ward listed his occupation as "transportation boatman." By 1930 his residence was in Morehead City.

No comments: