|1938 - Farrell Collection, North Carolina Archives|
|Close-up of Above Image - Relaxing Under the Porch|
HISTORY NOTE: In 1730 Ebenezer Harker sold 441 acres, land on the west side of White Oak River he had acquired from the Lords Proprietors in 1713, to two brothers from Massachusetts Bay--Jonathan and Isaac Green. Jonathan Green and his wife Grace lived on their half of the land; Isaac appears to have remained in Massachusetts. By 1735 Jonathan Green had died, leaving his widow with half of the land. In October 1735, Theophilus Weeks, who had also come from Massachusetts about 1730, married Green's widow and was given (by court order) administration of the deceased estate. Theophilus Green bought the other half of the Green brother's plantation from Isaac Green (in Massachusetts).
Before his death in 1771 Theophilus Weeks sold off part of his farm as lots for a new town. The 48 lots measured 200 x 60 feet with three streets running north and south, and three streets running east and west. Lots were given or willed to his son Benjamin Weeks (7, 23 and 39 on the west side of Main Street) and to his stepson Jonathan Green Jr. (8, 24 and 40). If he did not inherit the house and lot, Jonathan Green Jr. apparently built a house on lot #40 before his death in 1784. The sheriff of the county sold lot #40 to pay off a debt the deceased owed to Mrs. Mary Pitts. (from "Chain of Title" listing found in the Jonathan Green Jr. House - October 1962.)