This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

CALVIN W. BUCKMASTER HOUSE circa 1890s


NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places: 204 Church Street – Three-bay two-room plan house with shed-roofed front porch, ell with side porch. Buckmaster was a painter. NR

Calvin Buckmaster - Death Certificate
Calvin W. Buckmaster 1859-1916 was born in Freedom, Lafayette County, Missouri, son of James Buckmaster and Sarah Boone. Calvin married Lucy Bloodgood (1868-1949) in June 1882. Lucy was the daughter of Joseph Bloodgood 1840-1907 and Mary E. Bell.

In the 1900 Swansboro census, in the household was painter Calvin 42, Lucy 30 and 3-year-old Joseph S. Buckmaster.

The 1910 Swansboro census noted 52-year-old Calvin as a saw mill worker; in the household were Lucy A. 40, Joseph S. 14 and 8-year-old Charles Buckmaster.

By 1920, in the household were widow Lucy Buckmaster, sons Joe 24, fireman on a tugboat, and 18-year-old Charlie Buckmaster, who was working at the Coast Guard Station on Bogue Inlet. Charlie married Beatrice Holland about 23. In their household in 1930 were Charles 28, Beatrice "Betty" 26, Mary 7, Charles 5 and 3-year-old Joseph T. Buckmaster.

No comments: