This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
According to Jack Dudley in Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute, Rob Williams was the owner of Swansboro's most nostalgic honkytonk - which operated from the late '30s through the early '40s. Old timers invariably mention the "Codfish" in any discussion of Front Street.
The "Codfish" was located in front of the business which currently exists on Front Street in Swansboro. The brick foundation of the old "Codfish" is still visible along the sidewalk.