This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

JAMES BARTLEY HOUSE circa 1893 - 202 West Main










Side View - The "bucket" well is surrounded by ballast stones used in early sailing ships. 1962 Photos.

NATIONAL REGISTER of HISTORIC HOUSES (Pezzoni 1989): Three-bay center-hall plan (originally) with triple-A roof, highly decorative front and ell porches and gable vents. Semi-detached kitchen and dining room. Rustic well on the site of earlier well structure. (NR)

James Thomas Bartley, born in South Carolina on April 27, 1864 to Edward Bartley and Annie Keman, came to Swansboro by way of Wilmington about 1893. He built this home for his bride - Georgia A. Smith, born to George W. and Missouri Smith, of Silverdale, NC, on August 23, 1870.

Georgia Bartley was postmistress from 1907 to 1914. Bartley was a prominent local businessman - a retail merchant on Front Street. His first store (left) was just east of the Old Brick Store. His early "party boat" was named Little Georgia. Bartley was a former mayor of Swansboro but an unsuccessful candidate for Congress. (These three images are from Jack Dudley's book Swansboro, A Pictorial Tribute.)

The house is known locally as being a rooming house. Perhaps Georgia took on boarders after James died - February 8, 1943. Georgia died April 15, 1961 at the age of 90. They are both buried in the Piney Grove Cemetery in Swansboro.The building behind the house is actually the "kitchen" used by the "cook" who prepared meals for the boarders in the Bartley house.

No comments: