This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

THOMAS H. PRITCHARD HOUSE circa 1905


NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places: 214 Walnut Street - Three-bay triple-A I-house with decorative two-tier front porch, front gable with wood-shingling and millwork, two-story ell with two-tier side porch. Pritchard was manager of  the Swansboro Land and Lumber Company.(NR)

Thomas H. Pritchard Sr. 1855-1920 was born in Greenville, Pitt County, North Carolina to George Lafayette Pritchard and Catherine Riddick Congleton.

In the 1900 census, Pritchard Sr. and his wife Charity Hampden "Singie" Anthony were living in Scotland Neck, North Carolina; at that time his son Thomas Henry Pritchard Jr. was 16-years old.

Thomas H. Pritchard Jr. 1883-1945
The 1910 Swansboro census recorded Thomas H. Pritchard Sr. 55, as manager of the saw mill. In the household at that time were: Thomas H. Jr. 26, bookkeeper at the sawmill; William A. 23, salesman at general store; George L. 20, medical student; Sallie A. 17, college; Frank H. 15, college; Peyton 13, salesman at general store; Kate Kess 22, boarder and stenographer at the "mill company."

The 1920 Swansboro census recorded "lumberman" T.H. Pritchard Sr. 64 and T.H. Pritchard Jr. 36, lumber inspector - in the same household. That year T. H. Pritchard Sr. died in Kinston, North Carolina.

By 1930 47-year-old "lumberman" Thomas H. Pritchard Jr. had married Mary W. (Ward?). In the household were Frank Ward 27, George W. Ward 25, Clifton Ward 19 and Mary M. Ward--all most likely children by a previous marriage.

Thomas Henry Pritchard Jr.'s death certificated noted his having been in the community of Swansboro for 40 years. He was noted as bookkeeper in the lumber business. Pritchard was buried in Ward Cemetery.

Prichard Sr. or Jr. built another house at 228 Elm Street.

No comments: