This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

RICHARD RIGGS STORE circa 1920

NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places: 103 Main Street - False-fronted board-and-batten commercial structure with front pent roof. Riggs operated a grocery store in this building in the 1930s. NR


According to the Swansboro Historical Association, the structure was, at one time, used as the post office.
 
Richard T. Riggs was born in 1891 to Thomas Jefferson Riggs 1859-1932 and 1860 Delphia Meadows. Thomas J. Riggs was the son of Isaac Newton Riggs 1838-1862 and 1834 Mary (Polly) Canady.


1910 Swansboro Township: Farmer Thomas Riggs Jr. 53, Delphia 51, James N. 21, Richard T. 19, Gevena 18, Delphia 15, Charlie 12 and William T. 11.

By 1920 Richard 28 was in Swansboro Township with wife Myrtle 26—living with his in-laws Jeremiah and Hetta A. Cannon.

In 1930 Richard 39 owned his home in Swansboro Township (not Swansboro Village) and was recorded as a merchant with a grocery store. Living with he and his wife Myrtle E. was 8-year-old niece Kate Cannon.
Richard's Father - Local Farmer Thomas Jefferson Riggs - Image NC State Archives

No comments: