This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

ERRINGTON B. LITTLETON HOUSE circa 1932

NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places: 117 Elm Street - Three-bay house with front porch and rear addition. Littleton was a fisherman and a net mender. NR

Errington Blount Littleton (October 4, 1905-January 13, 1995) was the son of net fisherman John Washington Littleton and wife Eureka W. Littleton.

The 1920 Swansboro Census recorded seine fisherman John W. Littleton 41, wife Retta 40, with children Errington 14, Catherine 11, Lena 9, Fitzhugh 6, Willard 3+, infant son Neil and mother-in-law Katie Young 59.
 
1928: Errington Littleton married Irene E.____.


The 1930 noted net fisherman John W. 52, wife Eureka W. 50, dredge boat laborer Errington 24, daughter-in-law Irene E. 24, daughter Kathleen 22, Carlton 15, Willard 13, Neil C. 10 and mother-in-law Katherine Young 69. John W. Littleton owned the home valued at $1000.

No comments: