This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

Hawkins-Glover Family Cemetery

John Rolph 1745-1771
John Rolph 1745-1771
Buried in the small Hawkins-Glover family cemetery were: 
John J. Farr 1818-1839
Catherine Jane Glover 1833-1868
Cyrus B. Glover 1821-1867
John D. Hawkins 1830-1921
William H. Hawkins 1845-1926 
and John Rolph 1745-1771.

Two of the grave markers that remain visible on Elm Street, those of John Rolph (perhaps a descendant of Rolph and Pocahontas) and John J. Farr. 


John J. Farr was perhaps the son of Titus Farr and Levisey Ambrose, who married in Onslow County in 1796. Levisey, born about 1775, was the daughter of 1747 Daniel Ambrose. Titus Farr was listed on the 1810 Onslow County census.

John Rolph 1745-1771
John Rolph 1745-1771

John J. Farr 1818-1839
John J. Farr 1818-1839

 In 1975 town workers discovered the grave of Cyrus B. Glover during road repair. The exhumed iron coffin is currently stored in the Onslow County Museum.

No comments: