This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives. The above links open SPECIAL PAGES; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.
Photographs and information from the Swansboro Historical Association's facebook page and website.
A lot near Front and Moore Streets was once home to the Tarrymore Hotel, demolished decades ago to provide parking.
According to the Swansboro Historical Association, the hotel was a fine example of a coastal North Carolina resort. Upon completion, the Tarrymore was a two-story, 24-room hotel. A first-floor porch overlooked the lawn and the White Oak River. Before highway 24, the property extended down to the river. At the river, a pier with a cabana and bathhouse extended over the water. The hotel catered to hunters and anglers and also served locals by hosting large dances and gatherings. Prior to its demolition, the hotel was converted into apartments in the 1950s.
EMAIL more history to Mary Warshaw.