This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives. The above links open SPECIAL PAGES; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.
NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places noted: 201 Front Street - Double-store building with novelty, board-and-batten, and aluminum siding, original decorative shelving, one-story side wing; built as a William J. Moore (Tarrymore Hotel) speculation, the building was first occupied by merchants Jeremiah Watson and James Elijah Parkin. NR