Bazel Hawkins probably built what is known as the Hawkins-Glover House at 224 Elm Street; merchant and turpentine trader Cyrus Glover acquired and probably renovated it in the 1840s. The house originally stood on the waterfront to the west of town and was moved to its present location around 1900.
Cyrus B. Glover 1821-1867, born in Connecticut, came to Swansboro before 1847.* He married Catherine Jane Hawkins 1833-1868 on December 19, 1849 in Onslow County. Catharine was the daughter Bazel Hawkins.
|OLD BRICK STORE|
*In 1847 William Ferrand died and the “old brick store” was deeded to Cyrus Glover and Daniel Ambrose Harget.
The 1850 Swansboro Census recorded mother-in-law Catherine Hawkins 55, merchant C.B. Glover 29 (value of real estate $7900), wife Catherine Jane Glover 17 and boarders Caroline Fuller 25, Julia Ann Fuller 24, Isaac Eaves 40 physician, Elijah Taylor 36 distiller, Sylvester Shearman 26 merchant.
By the 1860 Swansboro Census, in the household were C.B. Glover 39, Catherine J. 27, Charles B. 8, William H. 3, Caroline Fuller 39 domestic and Julia Fuller 30 domestic.
Children of Cyrus and Catherine Glover: Charles Bazel 1851-1933, William H. 1857-1860, Theodore S. 1861-1927 and William B. Glover 1868-1908. Charles and William made their way to Houston, Texas. Theodore returned to Connecticut.
By the second quarter of the nineteenth century New Englanders Charles H. Barnum and Cyrus Glover had joined others in Swansboro to produce and market resin and turpentine. Barnum and Glover also operated saltworks and were postmasters.
In Selected US Federal Census Non-population Schedules 1850-1888 – Manufacturing – Enumerated June 1, 1850 C.B. Glover – Onslow County.
Capital invested in real and personal estate in the business: $10,000.
Raw Materials: Quantity 15,000, Turpentine, Values $21,500.
Average number of people employed: 9 at wages of $81 month.
Annual product: Quantity 25,000 resin, 2000 turpentine; Values $25,000.
|1850 Slaves - C.B. Glover|
|1860 Slaves - C.B. Glover|
1850 and 1860 Slave Schedules – Swansboro, Onslow County, North Carolina - entries for C.B. Glover
The Swansboro Historical Association’s tour guide noted: Hawkins-Glover Cemetery circa 1771—Two grave markers, one with especially elaborate carvings with perhaps New England influences, are visible from [NW] Elm Street. In 1975 town workers discovered the grave of Cyrus Glover during road repair. The exhumed iron coffin is currently stored in the Onslow County Museum.