This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives. The above links open SPECIAL PAGES; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.
Clyde S. Pittman, brother of Augustus W. Pittman, was born in 1874 to John A. Pittman and Olive Elizabeth "Bettie" Ward. In 1901/02 Clyde Pittman married Callie L. Bloodgood (1882-) daughter of Mart Edward Bloodgood and Clara Moore.
In 1900, Clyde Pittman was a salesman still living at home with his parents and three siblings. By 1910, Pittman was still a salesman, but living in his Elm Street house (then noted as 3rd St.). He and Callie had two children: Olive Elizabeth 8 and one-year-old Clara L. Pittman.
Clyde Pittman was a retail merchant by 1920, living on Main Street next to his brother Fred Pittman. In the household at that time were sister-in-law Janie B. Smith, nephew Edward Smith and father-in-law Mart E. Bloodgood. His mother Olive was living next door with his brother.
By 1930, Pittman had become justice of the peace. At that time, he and Callie had four boarders--all teachers. Pittman later became mayor of Swansboro.