This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

JIM CANADY FISHHOUSE circa 1930


NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places: 135 Front Street, asphalt-sided utilitarian gable-front structure with modern porch and wood shingle siding, moved once within district; Canady was a fisherman who used this structure to process his catch.

According to the Swansboro Historical Association, this seafood processing and storage plant, with an ice room floor, is one of the best preserved examples of an early 20th century fishhouse on the North Carolina coast.

No comments: