This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

GEORGE BELL HOUSE circa 1881


NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES   (Pezzoni 1989): George Bell House 1881 - 222 Water Street: Hip-roofed double pile house with front porch, decorative lintels over windows and doors, ballast stone chimney base. (NR)

George Bell, born about 1856, son of Joseph Bell and Emeline Linquish (born in Florida), was a fisherman and sailor.
 
In the 1870 Swansboro Census, George 12 was a farm laborer and at home with seaman father Joseph 49, mother Emeline 30, sister Martha 16 and two-year-old brother Joseph. George married Mary J. "Mollie" in 1878.

The 1920 census shows George Bell and his wife Mollie in this home on Water Street with fisherman son Ivan (Evan), 35, daughter Katie Bell Luhton(?), 25, and son-in-law Aarvin Luhton. Neighbors were Merritts, Jones, Littletons and Hatsells.

No comments: