This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

MARTIN E. BLOODGOOD HOUSE 1916


NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places: 116 Water Street - Early bungalow with front porch engaged under hipped roof, novelty siding. Dan Russell owned the house soon after Bloodgood.

Born in Swansboro, Martin "Mart" Edward Bloodgood Jr. 1891-1958 was the son of sailor Martin Edward Bloodgood 1851-1923 and Clara Duffy Moore. Martin Bloodgood Jr. married Elenita Woodhull about 1915.
Martin Bloodgood Sr. 1851-1923
Martin Bloodgood Jr. 1917 WWI
In the 1910 census, "Mart" E. Bloodgood Jr., age 19 was noted as an engineer - gas engine. On his 1917 WWI registration he was noted as married with one child and a machinist.

By 1920 Bloodgood Jr. was renting a house in Morehead City and was noted as "engineer - gov't tug."

1958 Death Certificate
The 1930 census showed Bloodgood and family on Ann Street in Beaufort; at that time he was captain of a dredge boat.

"Mart" E. Bloodgood's 1958 death certificate documented his residence as Wilmington, North Carolina with his occupation noted as "Corp Engr - Inspector." At that time his spouse was Blanche Bennett.

There is also a Bloodgood House circa 1900 at 204 Water Street, described in the National Register as: an aluminum-sided house with one-story side kitchen and front porch:

No comments: