This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

Owen Burns

Image Courtesy Yancey County
Test Transcribed Below

CAPTAIN OWEN BURNS, U.S.N.

Captain Owen Burns, U.S.N., was the only son of Captain Otway Burns by his first wife. He was born in 1810. He was appointed midshipman in the United States Navy in 1823. In 1831 he was promoted to the rank of Master on the "John Adams" in the Mediterranean Squadron. His commission as Lieutenant is dated April 8, 1834. His last service was on the "Falmouth" man-of-war in the Pacific. He resigned his commission in 1839.

In 1849 he married Martha Ann Armstrong, the daughter of Soloman Armstrong and Rachel Moore Armstrong. They had nine sons and one daughter.

Captain Owen Burns died at Frederickstown, Md., in 1869, and was buried at the Catholic Church Grounds near Warwick, Md.

No comments: