This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

DAVID JAMES MOORE HOUSE circa 1887

NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places: 105 Church Street – Simple rectangular three-bay house with decorative barge boards, reworked interior. Moore was a merchant. NR

David James Moore 1856-1931, was born in Morehead City, North Carolina, son of mariner Nicolas Moore 1828-1903 and Rosa Hatsell 1826-1882. David James Moore married Henrietta R____.

1860 Census: David James Moore 3, was at home in Swansboro with his mother, father and siblings.

1870 Census: David James Moore 14 at home with parents and siblings Virginia 17, Rosa 5, Hiram 12 and boarder Samuel Wiley, a ship carpenter.

David J. Moore - Death Certificate
1880 Census: David 23, clerk in store, with parents and Rosa 15, Hiram 20, Virginia Davis 27, son-in-law Cicero W. Davis 30, and grandsons Willie J. Davis 2 and 5-month-old Benjamin P. Davis.

1900 Census: Merchant David J. Moore and Henrietta had been married 18 years—alone in the house.

1920 Census: David J. Moore was a merchant on Arendell Street in Morehead City, North Carolina.

1930 Census: 74-year-old David was manager of a grocery store in Swansboro with wife Henrietta and roomer Frazelle Claude 31, grocery store salesman.

No comments: