This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

ERNEST WEBB HOUSE circa 1910

NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places (Pezzoni 1989): 307 Church Street. Gable-fronted side-hall plan house with one-story front and rear additions, modern porch, aluminum siding. Robert Lee Smith and Emory Rogers built this house. Drastic 20th century alterations make this house noncontributing. (NR)
Ernest Thomas Webb (1870-1961) was the son of Thomas B. Webb (1838-1879) and Elizabeth Hart Moore (1838-1914); Thomas B. Webb  was noted as a tobaccoist in Durham Township in 1870. By 1880 widow Elizabeth H. Webb (42) was in Swansboro with sons Willie 20, Ernest 9, Charles 7 and daughter Emma 16 with husband Elijah Sewel 22.

Ernest Webb married Sadie Elizabeth Becton in 1889. On the 1910 census Ernest 39 was noted as a retail merchant in Township #5, Craven County. By the 1920 census he was noted on Church Street in Swansboro with wife Sadie 42, James F.15, Ernest C. 12, Madie B. 12 and 6-year-old Milton W. Webb. On that census Ernest is noted as a ship carpenter. By 1930 he and family were in Morehead City where Ernest was noted as an operator of drawbridge.

No comments: