This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places: 207 Elm Street -Three-bay formerly center-hall plan house with carefully reworked front porch, ell and back porch. Holloway was a laborer at the Swansboro Land and Lumber Company. NR
William G. Holloway was born in 1861 to George Washington Holloway (1838-1918) and Mary Collett (1843-1893).
In the 1880 census William 20 was still at home with his parents in Patterson, Caldwell County, North Carolina. Four years later, on January 30, 1884, William married Sarah M. Butler (1866-1955) in Craven County, North Carolina.
In 1900 the Holloways were recorded in Swansboro. 39-year-old William was a "day laborer" at the Swansboro Land and Lumber Company. In their household were children: Mary V. Holloway 9, Sarah Cordelia Holloway 7 (1893-1966), Samuel Calvin Holloway 4 (1895-1968) and Ruth M. Holloway 2 (1897-1982). Two other sons were born: Zebulon Holloway in 1901 and J. H. Holloway 1905.
William Holloway died in April of 1907. He and others were buried in Swansboro's Wade Cemetery: wife and mother Sarah M. Butler (1866-1955), Mary V. Holloway (1890-1900), Zebulon Holloway (1901-1920) and J.H. Holloway (1905-1906).