This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

1955 PRIZE

Tidewater Power Company constructed the Lumina in Wrightsville Beach in 1905.The Tidewater Power Company was merged with the Carolina Power and Light Company in 1952.

The Finer Carolina Program

The Finer Carolina Program was initiated in 1952 in an effort by the company to develop the communities it served. Realizing that the company prospers in direct proportion to the development of the communities and adjacent areas reached by their lines, and “to help the citizens to build a prosperous community that is beautiful, complete with modern services, and full of activities for play and recreation.”

A contest is put on each year in which prizes are given for the community attaining the best rating in its class; also project prizes are offered to groups, clubs and other organizations.

The Finer Carolina Program adds up to the finest thing for boosting Eastern North Carolina ever offered in the area.

A first prize for communities was won by Swansboro in the year 1955.

The slogan suggested was “Let's Make our Town Carolina's Finest.”

Above from: Commonwealth of Onslow - A History by Joseph Parsons Brown
Owen G. Dunn Company . New Bern, NC . 1960

Tidewater Power Company constructed the Lumina in Wrightsville Beach in 1905.

No comments: