This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

DOROTHY SANDERS CAFE circa 1931




NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places: 105 Front Street - Board-and-batten shop/residence with rear shed room, gabled dormers; built by Sanders as a coffeehouse in likeness of her father W.E. Mattocks' house. NR

Dorothy Barnum "Dollie" Mattocks 1888-1969 first married ______Sanders. Her other spouse was Jesse T. Williams.

No comments: