This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo (from North Carolina State Archives) courtesy Jack Dudley, as included in Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute

Isaac Newton Sanders 1777-1821

Sanders Plantation .1863 . Valentine
Last Will and Testament 6 Sept 1821
State of North Carolina
County of Onslow County
Will Book A

In the name of God, Amen:  I, Isaac Sanders of the County of Onslow and State of North Carolina, Planter, being sick of body but of sound mind and memory thanks to God for the same knowing that death is inevitable to all men do think proper to dispose of the worldly goods with which it hath pleased God to bless me in the manner and form following after recommending my soul to God who gave it and my body to be buried at the descretion of my executors hereafter to be mentioned (VIZ):

ITEM: 1st, I loan to my beloved wife Ruth Sanders during her natural life the land I bought of John Sanders joining where I live with the house and salt works on the same and after my wife's death, my youngest son Isaac Newton Sanders to have the same land.  I give to my wife Negro man Tom, Negro girl Iris, to dispose of as she may think proper, and Negro boy Antony until my son Isaac N. Sanders shall arrive at the age of twenty one years, then he is to have said Negro Antony also give to my wife my home republican and Jenney wagon four cows and calves two beds and furniture fifty barrels of corn and two thousand pounds of pork.

ITEM: 2nd, I give to my son David N. Sanders five Negroes (VIZ) Dick, Dash, Charles, Suck & Cate, also three hundred acres of land lying on the south west prong of New River one bed and furniture two cows and calves.

ITEM: 3rd, I give to my two sons Daniel S. Sanders and Benjamine W. Sanders equally all my lands east of the lands I bought of John Sanders including the house and salt works on the same also one hundred acres of land adjoining the wood place together with my Inland lands near Bear Inlet also my Negro fellow Charles my son Daniel S. Sanders is to have on the first day of next January all the property in his possession until Benjamin arrives at the age of twenty then my son Benjamin is to take the one half of all that I have bequeathed to him and son Daniel together with one half of the profits arising from said
lands salt works and Charles.

ITEM: 4th, I give to my three sons John A. Sanders, Edwrad W. Sanders & Isaac Newton Sanders the following negros (VIZ) Grasous, Bryan, Rose, Jane, Eli, Rachel and Elleck, black Mariah, Hester and Jack with their increase I bequeath unto my two sons John A. & Edward W. Sanders all my land not otherwise disposed of including my piny lands.

ITEM: 5th, I give to my daughter Nancy Sanders five Negroes (VIZ) Sarah, Marish, Jacob, Linkfield, and Mose, it is my will that my wife shall during her widowhood support and school my sons John A. Sanders, Edwrad W. Sanders, & Isaac N. Sanders and my daughter Nancy Sanders free and clear from all expenses to my estate and my wife shall in compensation for the same have all the profits arising from the lands and Negroes which I have given to my sons John A. Sanders, Edward W. Sanders and Isaac N. Sanders and daughter Nancy Sanders.

ITEM: 6th, All the stock and crop which is not therewise disposed of I wish it should be sold to pay my debts and also what debts is now due me is to be appropriated to the use of discharging my debts and after they are paid if anything is remaining, I wish it should be equally divided between all my children.

ITEM: 7th, I make and ordain my executors my worthy friend Daniel M. Dulany my son David N. Sanders and my son Daniel S. Sanders is to be qualified to this my last will at the age of eighteen this the sixth day of September eighteen hundred and twenty-one (six day of September 1821).

Isaac Sanders (Sr) (seal)

Signed and sealed in presence of
J. Ward
Benjamin Ward Sr


ONSLOW COUNTY: In court November term 1821, this will was proved in open court by the oath of Benjamin Ward & David W. Sanders one of the executors therein named qualified thereto.

Bannister Lester, clerk
by Robert C. Lester

__________________________________
USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing
         free information on the Internet, data may be used by
         non-commercial entities, as long as this message
         remains on all copied material. These electronic
         pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit
         or for presentation by other persons or organizations.

         Persons or organizations desiring to use this material
         for purposes other than stated above must obtain the
         written consent of the file contributor.
  
  The submitter has given permission to the USGenWeb Archives
  to store the file permanently for free access.

         This file was contributed for use in the North Carolina USGenWeb
         Archives by: Beverly Cole 

No comments: