This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

KANELIUM BLOODGOOD HOUSE circa 1907


NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places: 220 Elm Street - Three-bay I-house with one-story porch and rear wing; asbestos siding.

Living his whole life in Swansboro, Kanelium "Kay" A. Bloodgood was born March 10, 1878 and died July 17, 1938. He was the son of Joseph Bloodgood 1840-1907 and Mary E. Bell, born in 1848. In 1899 Kay Bloodgood married Elma T. Howland 1879-1962. Elma was the daughter of Benjamin Tucker Howland 1842-1903 and Joseph Ann Willis (born in Williston, Carteret County in 1851 to Daniel Chadwick Willis and Lydia Ann Dixon.)

The 1900 census recorded Kanelium 22 and Mary E. Bell Bloodgood 20, living with Kanelium's parents Joseph 60, Mary E. 52 and his 27-year-old brother Charles W. Bloodgood. Joseph's occupation was noted as "piloting." Both Kanelium and Charles were sailors.

The 1910 census noted Kay 34, wife Elma and 7-year old Walter A. Bloodgood. At that time Bloodgood was listed as a tugboat boatman. By 1920 he was listed as a seine fisherman. In 1930, their son Walter 27 was still at home and a "boatman-freight fish." At that time his father was noted as "boating-towing freight."

Kay Bloodgood registered for the WWI draft in September 1918.

No comments: