This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

Grave of Otway Burns

The grave of Otway Burns in the Old Burial Grounds in Beaufort, NC, decorated with a cannon from his privateer, the Snap Dragon. (From the Collier Cobbs photo album, circa 1898, courtesy of the North Carolina at Chapel Hill) As scanned from Seasoned by Salt by Rodney Barfield

No comments: