This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

July 4, 1983 Celebration with 1860 Re-enactment

Below is a 1983 article published during Swansboro' 200th birthday celebration, found in the Jonathan Green Jr. House scrapbook.

Reactivated Civil War troops will set up camp on Swansboro waterfront during town's July 4 celebration.

Tideland News, June 29, 1983, Swansboro

Swansboro's 200th Anniversary Celebration Committee is planning a series of events for the July 4 weekend. The weekend will begin with the encampment of a reactivated Civil War group at the bicentennial park. Soldiers in authentic Civil War uniforms will arrive early Saturday morning with authentic weapons, including a cannon, which they will try to teach viewers about camp life and military tactics of the Civil War. More...

No comments: