This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

EDWARD KIRKMAN HOUSE circa 1906

NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places: 217 Walnut Street – Asbestos-sided three-bay house with front porch, ell. This house was built by John Edward Kirkman for his parents Calvin J. Kirkman and Eveline Merrell. NR

Lineage:
  • 1785 James Kirkman
  • 1808-1870 John W. Kirkman, born in Guilford County, NC, married Pamela Gardner, born in Craven County in 1820.
  • 1849-1917 Calvin J. Kirkman, born in Craven County, married Eveline Merrell 1851-1910.
  • 1870-1948 John Edward Kirkman was born in Maple Cypress, North Carolina. He married Annie Dennis in 1896. John Edward was a surfman at the U.S. Lifesaving Station on Bogue Inlet.
Calvin Kirkman moved from Craven County, North Carolina to Swansboro by 1900. In his household at that time were wife Eveline and George Calvin 23 and 17-year-old William Lawrence Kirkman.

By 1910, head of household John Edward, with wife Annie E., son John E. 12, son Joseph D. 7, father Calvin, mother Eveline and mother-in-law Lizzie Dennis.

    1 comment:

    Teresa Weeks said...

    John Edward Kirkman died in 1948.

    Sincerely,

    Grandaughter, Teresa Weeks

    tweeksofsw@aol.com