This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

Mary Elizabeth Gibson 1837-1918

Mary Elizabeth Gibson, daughter of William J. Gibson 1805-1860 and Susannah Simmons 1814-1890, of Onslow County, married Edward Ward “Ned” Mattocks June 9, 1857 in Onslow County; the marriage was performed by David W. Sanders, justice of the peace. 

On January 23, 1862, 28-year-old Edward Ward Mattocks enlisted as a private in Swansboro with Company B, 3rd NC Calvary Regiment--later 41st NC State Troops. This unit was initially known as Edward W. Ward's Company or "Gatlin's Dragoons." Mattocks enlisted for twelve month, but on February 28, 1862, for a $50 bounty, he extended his service to two years. Mattocks was promoted to 4th Sergeant on June 8, 1862.

In the 1870 census, Edward Ward Mattocks was head of household with wife Mary and son William Edward Mattocks. Also in the house were servants Charity Dixon and Alexandra Mundine. Edward was noted as a retail grocer. By 1910, 77-year-old Edward was recorded with wife Mary in the Mattocks House on Front Street.

No comments: