This small quaint seaport has roots back to April 7, 1730 when Isaac and Jonathan Green Sr. purchased from Ebenezer Harker "a certain plantation and track of land containing by estimation 441 acres situate lying and being in ye Carterett in ye county of province of aforsaid being ye west side of ye mouth off White Oak River." By 1771 Theophilus Weeks started a town on his plantation, laying out a plat and selling lots. Formerly known as Bogue, Week's Point, The Wharf and New Town, the town was officially designated by the North Carolina General Assembly on May 6, 1783. Above photo courtesy Jack Dudley . Swansboro - A Pictorial Tribute . North Carolina State Archives.
Links to SPECIAL PAGES above; please SEE SIDEBAR to navigate to specific posts.

A Brief History of Swansboro

Excerpts from The Submerged Cultural Resources of Swansboro, NC . A project sponsored by 200th Anniversary (1783-1983) Celebration Committee

Images posted below were not a part of this report.

Portion of 1730 Mol Map

The first documented settlement in Onslow County did not occur until 1713. English, Scot, African, Welsh and French immigrated to the area from New England, Maryland and Virginia, and the northeastern section of North Carolina.

Agriculture and a large naval stores industry soon formed the basic of the area’s economy. The White Oak River along with the New River became the centers of early settlement, much like other rivers up and down the eastern seaboard. More than likely, vessels were built in Onslow County before it was formally organized. The concentration of people along the water routes made it likely that small craft, row boats, canoes, periaugers and small sailing vessels would have been built for local transportation. Dug-out cypress canoes commonly called “cunners” were probably the first small vessels built in the area. A ferry, known as Sneads Ferry, was established across New River by 1731. More...Full transcription and images

No comments: